Providing Reasonable Accommodations under ADA Certificate Program (Starts 1/29/2020)
January 29, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm CST$295.00
HRCI – 4 HR(General) Credits
SHRM – 4 PDC’s
Presenter: Elga Lejarza-Penn
Date: January 29th, 2020
Time: 12 pm – 4 pm Central Time
Duration: 4 Hours
Delivery Options: In-Person in St Louis, MO or Live Stream / Webinar
I am sure we all want to avoid being the next company having to pay $5.2 million for refusing to accommodate the disabilities of a long term employee as announced by the EEOC press release on October 11, 2019.
Developing a comfortable level complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) takes knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience. In this 4-Hour Certificate Program, we will answer all these questions and a lot more! We will equip you with the necessary tools for you to acquire the level of comfort to provide reasonable accommodations in the workplace to be in compliance with ADA. Our ADA Guru, Elga Lejarza- Penn who has 25 + years of experience in HR will infect you with her ADA passion as she is sharing with you her own experience from the last 13 years working and interacting on a daily basis with close to 300 individuals with disabilities.
- How do I handle fragrance sensitivity requests for accommodation?
- Is an accommodation request to bring a service dog to work handled the same as an employee requesting to bring their emotional support pet?
- What if granting a reasonable accommodation for one employee by allowing them to bring their service dog in the workplace causes allergy problems with other employees?
- How do we handle situations when employees who suffer from bipolar disorder can not take their medications due to pregnancy?
- Can a reasonable accommodation be denied?
- How do we handle suicide comments in the workplace due to mental disorders?
- Do we need to have medical certification to provide a reasonable accommodation?
- My employee just disclosed an alcohol problem, do I have to provide reasonable accommodations?
- What is the difference between ADA and ADAAA?
- How do we determine if a person has a disability under the ADAAA?
Areas Covered in the Session:
- Americans with Disability Act and the definition of Disability
- The broader definition of “Disability” under the Amendment Act
- Employers Compliance with the Americans with Disability Act
- The difference between ADA and ADAAA
- The Interactive Process from A-Z
- The most common disabilities under ADA
- Statutory exceptions to the term “Disability”
- Titles of ADA
- 7% Utilization Rate
- Definition of “Impairment”
- Definition of “Mental Impairment”
- Definition of “Physical Impairment”
- Definition of “Major Bodily Functions”
- Definition of “Substantial Limitation”
- List of Major life activities
- Definition and exceptions to “Mitigating Measures”
- Definition of “Undue Hardship”
- Definition of “Threat Defense”
- Recognizing a request for accommodation
- Who can request a reasonable accommodation?
- Examples of reasonable accommodations
- Who chooses the reasonable accommodation?
- Who is engaged in the reasonable accommodation process?
- Fragrance Sensitivity – Definition/Prevention/Treatment/Mitigating Symptoms
- New ADA Guidelines for Fragrance Sensitivity
- How to handle Fragrance Sensitivity requests for accommodation?
- Reasonable Accommodations Vs. Perfect Accommodations – Courts’ opinion
- Examples of Reasonable Accommodations for Fragrance Sensitivity
- Courts’ Opinion in regards to Workplace Fragrance Sensitivity Policy
- Developing a Workplace Fragrance Sensitivity Policy
- Recent Significant Fragrance Sensitivity Cases
- Differences between “Service Animals” and “Emotional Support Animals” for people with disabilities
- Which animals are considered “service animals” under ADA?
- Accommodating cognitive disabilities such as autism
- Accommodating body odors due to disability
- Accommodating chronic fatigue syndrome
- Accommodating drug addiction
- Accommodating Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Differences in handling obesity accommodation requests versus morbid obesity accommodation requests
- Accommodating Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Accommodating personality disorders
- Accommodating Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Accommodating pregnancy
- Accommodating seasonal affective disorder
- Accommodating sleep disorders
- How necessary is to have “an accommodation mindset”?
- Employer’s responsibility after the accommodation request has been granted
- When “Employee Separation” is the only route
- Best practices to maintain an “Inclusive Environment”
- “Myths and Facts” about Reasonable Accommodation
- $5.2 Million Awarded for failure to provide a reasonable accommodation – October 2019 case
- Maintaining an inclusive environment
Included in the program:
- Providing Reasonable Accommodations Under ADA Certificate
- 4 SHRM/HRCI Recertification Credit hours
- Supplies/book with presentation
- Reasonable Accommodation Interactive Process Package
- $200.00 off coupon code for our PHR/SPHR/SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP 10 Week Evening Online Exam Prep Program
Who will benefit: / Target audience
- HR Professionals
- Office Managers
- Business Owners
- Compliance Officers
- Managers and Supervisors
- Employee Relations Professionals
- Employee Assistance Professionals
- Safety Managers