Interviewing Skills Certificate Program (Starts 3/24/2020)
March 24, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm EDT$295.00
HRCI – 4 HR(General) Credits
SHRM – 4 PDC’s
Interviewing Skills Certificate Program
Presenter: Elga Lejarza-Penn
Duration: 4 Hours
Delivery Options: In-Person or Live Stream
Why Should you attend this 4-hour Interviewing Skills Certificate Program?
Selecting a qualified candidate for each and every job is critical to our organization’s success. Qualified means candidates who have the incoming abilities to perform well on the job. While you, as an interviewer, would like to have all the information you can obtain from a candidate, you must avoid asking any question that may be considered discriminatory. As you are aware, decades ago many federal laws and also some state laws passed that pertain to the questions an interviewer may ask. Yet job candidates today might still be asked questions that are illegal. The costs for an employer to defend itself against a claim of illegal employment discrimination are significant.
Another significant consequence of careless hiring is turnover which causes high costs. Some studies (such as SHRM) predict that every time a business replaces a salaried employee, it costs 6 to 9 months’ salary on average. For a manager making $40,000 a year, that’s $20,000 to $30,000 in recruiting and training expenses. We need to reduce costs by reducing turnover through better hiring practices, through better screening techniques and making sure we all practice fair hiring.
Accordingly, you, as hiring managers, need to know how to conduct lawful interviews. Let’s see how well you do!
Can you ask the following questions during a job interview?
- Do you have a disability?
- Have you ever filed a workers’ compensation claim?
- Do you have a history of drug or alcohol abuse?
- After reviewing the job description, “Can you perform the duties listed in the job description, with or without accommodation?”
- If a worker has an obvious disability or reveals a hidden disability: “Can you demonstrate how you would perform the essential functions of the job?”
- Are you currently using any illegal drugs?
- “You have a cute accent, l like it, where are you from”?
- “The job requires frequent traveling out of town, do you have children”?
- Are you available to travel frequently?
- Can you work overtime with no notice?
Answers to the even-numbered questions:
- No, 4. Yes, 6. Yes, 8. No, 10. Yes
Areas covered in our Interviewing Skills Certificate Program
- Key legislation affecting Recruitment and selection
- The concept of Equal Employment Opportunities
- Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications
- Human Resources Planning objectives
- The Job Analysis process and its outcome
- Importance of Job Descriptions in the Recruitment Process
- The Needs Analysis for staffing
- The Recruitment Process objectives
- Application Forms and the legal and Privacy issues
- Validity and Reliability
- Internal and External Recruitment Sources
- Recruitment and Technology
- Analyzing application forms to identify a job applicant’s qualifications for the job
- Analyzing application forms for “red flags” to clarify in a face-to face interview
- Screening Interviews
- Selection Tools
- The importance of Employment Branding in the Recruitment Process
- Objectives of interviews
- Conducting effective and legal Interviews
- Setting up the interview
- Selecting the Interview Team
- Different types of interviews
- Diversity and Inclusion in the Recruitment Process
- Interviewing Skills and Techniques
- Providing a Realistic Job Preview
- Guidelines for interview questions
- Preparation is the key
- Putting the applicant at ease so you can get better information
- Taking notes – Be cautious
- When to dig for more information
- Combating Interviewer hidden bias
- Emotional Intelligence and Interviewing
- Reading candidates body language in an interview
- Promissory estoppel vs. fraudulent misrepresentation
- Discriminatory questions
- Interviewing applicants with disabilities
- How to conduct interviews with confidence
- Evaluating to choose and hire the best candidates
Included in the program:
- Interviewing Skills Certificate
- 3 SHRM/HRCI Recertification Credit hours
- Supplies/book with presentation
- Mock interview activity
- Interactive Program
- $200.00 off coupon code for our PHR/SPHR/SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP 10 Week Evening Online Exam Prep Program
- Human Resources Professionals
- Compliance Officers
- Business Owners
- Office Managers
- New Managers or Supervisors
- Anyone responsible for recruiting, interviewing and/or hiring